Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Do I really need to memorize verses? How important is it really?

Lately I have felt convicted about not spending the time to memorize scripture. Then I came across this quote by Chuck Swindoll, Chuck Swindoll, who said “I know of no other
single practice in the Christian life more rewarding, practically speaking, than memorizing Scripture. . . . No other single exercise pays greater spiritual dividends! Your prayer life will be strengthened. Your witnessing will be sharper and much more effective. Your attitudes and outlook will begin to change. Your mind will become alert and observant. Your confidence and assurance will be enhanced. Your faith will be solidified” (Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life, p. 61). Next I dug into the Word to see what the bible says about this. Here are some of the verses that speak about the importance of God's word:

Colossians 3:16


Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.







Psalms 37:31


The law of his God is in his heart; his steps do not slip.


Psalm 119:9, 11


“How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. . . . I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you” 

Ephesians 6:17

The one piece of armor used to kill is the “sword of the Spirit” which is the word of God 

Matthew 4:1-11

 Jesus is tempted by Satan in the wilderness he recited Scripture from memory and put Satan to flight 


And these are only a few of the many verses that speak of the importance of storing up God's Word in our heart. So what does this mean for me...


It means I need to get serious about memorizing scripture. No more excuses! Every week I am going to post a verse that I am going to spend the time to memorize. I will also post different tips and different ways to memorize scripture. 









No comments:

Post a Comment